Denmead Infant School Mini-Heroes
In April 2011 the Department for Education introduced the Service Pupil premium (SPP) in recognition of the specific challenges children from service families face and as part of the commitment to delivering the armed forces covenant.
At Denmead Infant School we use this premium to assist us in providing the additional support that service children may need through an informal support group called ‘Mini-Heroes’.The purpose of this group is to offer pastoral care, to support the emotional wellbeing of our service children. We work with children in small groups (or individually if required) to share the joys and difficulties (emotionally and practically) of being a forces family.
Our Mini- Heroes Club provides the following support:
- A school point of contact through linked members of staff, who can be approached not just to support the children but to help parents too. (Mrs McErlean and Mrs Deakin – who both have experience of being part of a forces family)
- The opportunity for children to express and deal with their emotions, especially when a parent is on deployment.
- The chance to make new friends, be creative and play games together.
- Friends who are there for each other in times of need and to support emotions and wellbeing
- The opportunity to talk about the experiences of being a forces child and support at times of deployment or posting.
- To enable our children and families to settle quickly and to feel part of the community.
- The opportunity to talk about places parents have visited around the world. We enjoy tracking routes of where a parent is deployed. This not only gives children a better understanding of where places are in the world but an awareness of service lifestyle.
- Specific books to share with children and their families which are aimed at supporting children when their parent is away from home.
- A Lunchtime club to meet up and eat with Mini-heroes from across the school to share experiences and to develop their resilience and self-esteem.
- The opportunity to be a part of the Denmead village remembrance parade.
- Denmead Infant School Teddy Bears which can be taken on deployment.
Little Troopers is a registered charity supporting all children with parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve. They provide fundamental resources, initiatives and events to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected and bonded even when miles apart. Please click here to find out more information.
Tickets for Troops provides free tickets to members of the Armed Forces for a variety of sporting, musical and cultural events. Click here for more information.
Defence Discount Service provides those in the Armed Forces, Veterans and the Defence Community with discounts both online and in store. The Defence Discount Service also allows small and large companies to get involved with offering a discount and encourage companies in local areas to offer discounts to the Armed Forces Community. Click here for more information.
The Royal Navy and Royal Marines children’s fund is a charity dedicated to supporting children whose parents serve or have served for the Naval service. https://www.rnrmchildrensfund.org.uk/
Click here for a guide to School Admissions for Armed Forces Families.